Jump to navigation Jump to search
sudo pip3 install django
Check installed version:
python3 -m django --version
Creating a project
cd /home/mycode (Do not put code under /var/www) django-admin startproject mysite
Avoid using names like django (conflict with Django itself) or test (conflicts with a built-in Python package)
Startproject command will create:
mysite/ manage.py mysite/ __init__.py settings.py urls.py wsgi.py
These files are:
- The outer mysite/: Just a container for the project. It can be renamed it to anything.
- manage.py: Command-line utility that allows to interact with this Django project in various ways.
- The inner mysite/ directory is the actual Python package for the project. This is the Python package name to use to import anything inside it (e.g. mysite.urls).
- mysite/__init__.py: Empty file that tells Python that this directory should be considered a Python package.
- mysite/settings.py: Settings/configuration for this Django project.
- mysite/urls.py: The URL declarations for this Django project; a “table of contents” of your Django-powered site.
- mysite/wsgi.py: An entry-point for WSGI-compatible web servers to serve your project.